It’s the holiday season again and you know I’m going to give you something special to help you celebrate your holidays. This recipe is wonderful to share with friends, family and even that potluck at work. I’m tempted to sit down with friends and eat this cake and drink wine as we laugh and wish one another well, without eating anything else. It is that good. It’s creamy, slightly sweet, rich and a bit tangy. I hope you love this Ricotta Lemon Cheesecake as much as I do. Enjoy. And Merry Christmas!
Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 pounds fresh, whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs, butter and lemon peel. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9 1/2-in. spring form pan. Bake at 325º F for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. I like to line my spring form with parchment paper that I’ve lightly greased.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, stir ricotta with a rubber spatula until it reaches an extremely smooth consistency. Add the sugar and flour into the ricotta, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir in the eggs 1 at a time. Next add in the vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon extract, and salt. Mix well. Pour batter into crust.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 75 to 90 minutes at 300º F, until the cake is a light golden color. When it’s ready, the center should be fairly firm, and the point of a sharp knife inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire rack. Cover, and chill till serving time. Before removing from the spring form, run a knife around the cake between the edge of the pan and the cake to keep it from pulling and splitting.
Alternative crust: 2 cups pulverized gingersnaps (food processed), 6 Tablespoons melted butter, ¼ granulated sugar. Or: 2 cups Graham Cracker crumbs, 6 Tablespoons melted butter, ¼ cup sugar.